Catherine Haedrich was introduced to the super fun world of beading by a knitter-cross-pollinator friend who offered a lesson in flat and circular peyote at her home. She initially tried to pass on taking-up another hobby, claiming, “I have yarn beyond life expectancy”.
She credits her early experiences with more advanced beaders for giving her insight into what was possible for the future. Her motto for why she beads is, “Woman cannot live on spreadsheets alone”. She is haunted by the fact she worked in the Czech Republic three years but was not yet a beader, a fact she has tried to make up for over the years with visits Jablonec Nad Nisou.
While her husband is supportive of her hobby he recently returned home from a business trip and asked, “Did you miss me?” When she hesitated (he had only been gone two days), he mumbled in defeat, “If only I were a bead”. Indeed, if only we all were beads!
This is the bracelet made by Catherine named 'Cupcake'. For information about classes taught by her, see her blog here (link).
Here is the list of beads and supplies needed:
- 40x30 mm porcelain cabochon by atouchofglassjewelry.com
- 18x13 mm opaque light blue glass cabochons, Czech Republic
- 22x15 mm teardrop Jasper cabochons in pinky/peach undertones
- 4x6 mm baby bell flower (click here)
- 6 mm Lentils in 3 colors (for Lentil beads click here)
- 4 mm Fire Polished beads rose gold (for FP beads click here)
- 5 mm Daisy Spacers
- 8/0 Frosted Purple (see 8/0 seed beads)
- 11/0 Frosted Pink (see 11/0 seed beads)
- 15 Miyuki JSB, muscat, JSB=Japanese seed bead
- 11/0 Miyuki Delica, Opaque Aqua AB (see all Miyuki 11/0)
- 11/0 Delica, Chartreuse AB (click here)
- 15/0 Miyuki JSB, Muscat
- 15/0 Miyuki JSB, Matte Black
- 10/0 Preciosa Rocailles Green Turquoise Metallic Matte, main color (is not manufactured anymore) (see all 10/0 seed beads)
- 11/0 Preciosa Seed Beads Matte Copper (click here)
- 11/0 Preciosa Seed Beads Blue Turquoise Metallic (click here)
- 11/0 Preciosa Seed Bead Soup of blues/rose gold/chartreuse, primary bezel (click here)
- 11/0 Preciosa Seed Beads Dark Purple Matte, trace amount for daisy (click here)
- 15/0 Miyuki JSB matte light blue/turquoise for around flowers
3x8" stiff felt, light blue
3x8" backing, Ultrasuede or leather in a complementary color, not too thin.
Colors inspired by cab. Project colors resemble a confection. Any harmonious combination of pink, purple, light blue will work. Shape determined by floral bouquets.
Tips by the teacher:
- I put strips of scrap felt inside bracelet where I do not want the bracelet to dramatically bend, such as around large or heavy focals. Select a thicker backing to disguise the slight bumps it may create.
- You can substitute Miyuki 15/0 with Czech 13/0 seed beads (for 13/0 seed beads click here)
You can visit Catherine's page for more information (click here).
Get inspired and happy beading with ScaraBeads!